If you’ve done any net search for carpets and rugs, you might have noticed that carpets and rugs are really freaking expensive. Even if we exclude the handmade oriental rugs and carpets, which are extraordinarily expensive, a standard 8’x10’ rug can still be expensive. In this article, we are gonna discuss the reasons why these carpet and rugs are so expensive. Jaipur is very popular in manufacturing this type of expensive rugs and carpets.
Carpets and rugs are so expensive because of the time and craftsmanship involved in their manufacturing. The size and raw material also affect the price. Handmade carpets and rugs are very expensive as these are extremely labor-intensive and demand artistic talent. Actually, it is all about the effort that is behind producing them. We are going to take a look at all the reasons that make them expensive.
WHAT MAKES A RUG OR CARPET SO EXPENSIVE AND VALUABLE
1. MANUFACTURING METHOD
The method by which a rug and carpet is made is an important factor as well in determining its price. The handmade carpets and rugs are more expensive options as they take days of labor to complete. These rugs contain a high knot-count. This gives an amazing plush texture and their rich colors. They are more durable and can last for decades if handled with proper care. Handmade carpet has more fineness.
The machine-made carpets can be manufactured simply while handmade carpets involve a laborious process. As a result, machine made rugs and carpets are cheaper. These are very beautiful but handcrafted carpets look even more sophisticated and luxurious. These have a lower density of knots and a looser weave, therefore these are less durable. Jaipur is famous for exporting these high quality handmade and machine-made rugs and carpets.
2. RAW MATERIAL
It is another important factor that affects the cost of a carpet or rug. The material will determine the quality of the rug & carpet and it’s durability. It also affects the cleaning ability.
- Wool: Carpets and rugs made of wool are comparatively expensive. But certainly they are the most durable. It’s touch is softer than its synthetic counterparts. The only drawback is that it’s stain resistance is very low.
- Silk: Silk rugs and carpets are well known for their high-shine and lustrous texture. These are extremely expensive and require professional cleaning. These are better for luxury mansions where the chances of getting dirty are lesser.
- Nylon: Nylon fiber is well-known for its durability. Nylon rugs & carpets tend to be cheaper. This makes it a good choice for any common area. But the material is highly absorbent, so it can be easily ruined by spills.
- Polyester: Another less expensive and synthetic option, polyester is a less absorbent material, making it more stain-resistant. But it is not that much durable material.
3. DYING TECHNIQUE
Rugs and carpets are usually colored with either natural, usually vegetable-based, dyes or chemical dyes. Natural dyes tend not to fade over time. Rugs dyed with natural options take more labor, making them more expensive. As compared to the natural dyes, artificial and chemical dyes are much cheaper. Being cheap they even start fading after a few months of usage. Chemical dyes are a much cheaper option. Depending on the quality of dye and the method of the dying process, the cost also got varied.
4. DESIGN, STYLE AND COLOUR SCHEME
Design, patterns, style and color scheme are some more defining features of the cost of a carpet. The quantity and count of colors which are used to weave the carpet and rug can dictate the cost of carpets. Also, the designing style affects the production cost of a carpet or rug. The classic weaving styles like Kasmiri Nakkashi is a brilliant specimen of artistic skill, that makes it quite valuable and expensive.
CARPETS & RUGS EXPORTERS JAIPUR
All these factors are kept in mind by the carpet and rugs manufacturers of Jaipur to produce very high quality rugs and carpets. The rugs made in Jaipur are highly popular in every part of India and outside of India as well. Some of the famous carpets and rugs exporters in Jaipur are –
- Jaipur Hand Crafts
- Gautam International
- Vaibhav International
- Vimala International
- Vandana Handicraft
- Udai Exports
Hopefully, now you must be aware of the reasons why rugs and carpets are so expensive. So, before purchasing next time go through this blog once.